Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Dave Plowman wrote:

Those who insist on only using one foot with an auto are just making work
for themselves. Although left foot braking does take a bit of practice.

I occasionally drive other peoples' manual cars, don't want to train my
feet that way ...

Using your right foot only is no more work for your right foot than driving
a manual. I work on the principle that you should drive an automatic as much
like a manual as possible, omitting the tasks like changing gear and using
the clutch, but not changing or adding anything else. Having to adjust
between right-foot braking for manual and left-foot for auto is something I
would find very difficult. I'm used to braking with my right foot. Why would
I want *not* to do that in an auto - apart from the "because you can" factor
;-)