Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joey[_5_] Joey[_5_] is offline

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 07 Jun 2021 at 12:03:31 BST, R D S wrote:

On 26/05/2021 13:03, R D S wrote:

I've never owned an automatic and never wanted one but I test drove one
yesterday and while i'm not going to be buying that particular one
having driven it i'm wondering if i'd actually prefer an auto.

Got it and loving it. It probably helps that it has a fair bit of grunt
but it's a joy to drive. I'm a convert.

I feel i'm always on the brakes though, doesn't seem to slow down nearly
as much as a manual when you come off the gas.
I presume they are clever enough to use the engine/gearbox during
braking? Or do they chew through pads?

And what do folk tend to do at traffic lights? I'd normally neutral and
handbrake but that's less intuitive in this.

The engine stops when I come to rest so a light touch on the brake keeps
the
battery from rolling me forward. I don't have any trouble with judging
acceleration.

And the left foot should do nothing while driving. Right foot
for loud and soft pedals in all cars, whether manual or auto.

Thats mad when finely adjusting the position of the car like
when parking in a very tight spot.