Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

In article ,
R D S wrote:
My auto has a near conventional friction clutch - no torque converter.
And if you leave it in drive with the handbrake on, it tries to creep
against it. Which to me, means unnecessary wear. Footbrake on when
stopped disengages the clutch. But of course means the stoplights are
on. So I just plonk mine in park at traffic lights, etc.

I don't like the sort of loose rock you seem to get in park but as you
say with the handbrake on in drive there's a bit of lurch.

It can roll a few inches before the pawl engages. On a hill where that
would jerk, I control the roll back or forward speed with the footbrake.

So i've been knocking it into neutral and putting the handbrake on.

This has a stupid push-button 'hand'brake though and it turns into a
faff setting off again, you've to use the button and the brake pedal and
shift the stick and it's really fussy about the order of things.

I never use the handbrake. Footbrake on with the left foot when I engage
drive.

Those who insist on only using one foot with an auto are just making work
for themselves. Although left foot braking does take a bit of practice.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.