Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

On 07/06/2021 12:03, R D S wrote:
On 26/05/2021 13:03, R D S wrote:

I've never owned an automatic and never wanted one but I test drove
one yesterday and while i'm not going to be buying that particular one
having driven it i'm wondering if i'd actually prefer an auto.

Got it and loving it. It probably helps that it has a fair bit of grunt
but it's a joy to drive. I'm a convert.

I feel i'm always on the brakes though, doesn't seem to slow down nearly
as much as a manual when you come off the gas.

That is true of cars with torque converters IME - they free run more
easily, however if you force it to change down, you still get engine
braking.

I presume they are clever enough to use the engine/gearbox during
braking?

Might depend a bit on which "mode" the box is in. On mine it changes
down at higher revs when in sport mode.

Or do they chew through pads?

Probably a bit more than a manual.

And what do folk tend to do at traffic lights? I'd normally neutral and
handbrake but that's less intuitive in this.

Much the same, handbrake and neutral or just handbrake.

I'm guessing this is why i've been sick of staring at other's brake
lights for years, i've probably been behind autos.

Or just lazy sods who never thing of the person behind them!

--
Cheers,

John.