Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

In article ,
NY wrote:
All of the automatic cars that I have driven in the 1980s to early 2000s
(my dad's Citroen GS with C-Matic manual-torque-converter transmission,
his Ford Sierra and Honda Accords, and various Fords and Vauxhalls that
I've been loaned) have exhibited the same behaviour. With the car
stationary on level ground and no brake on (eg just released footbrake)
you apply power gradually and suddenly there is a bit of a lurch as the
car starts to move, akin to letting a manual clutch in a bit too
smartly. Most of these were at least 15 years ago, but the most recent
auto that I drove was a Japanese car (I forget what, not not a Honda)
which was probably a few years old when I drove it a couple of years ago.

Very odd. Most autos will move off on a level road with no throttle
applied. Called creep.

At one time some would lurch when you engaged drive or reverse, if the
brakes weren't on. Most these days require the brakes on before you can
move from neutral or park, where the engine was started. On a poorly
maintained car with a too high idle speed this lurch could be dangerous to
the unwary.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.