Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

In article ,
NY wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

A nice ICE automatic can be very good and whilst I liked by VW DSG
box, in terms of refinement, my Jag XF box was much better. It seems
it‘s hard to beat ample power and a good ”slushbox•.

It was the "slush" (torque converter) aspect of automatics that I found
hardest to adjust to: as you gradually increase the engine speed, the
torque converter initially tends to "change down" slightly, so small
increases of engine power don't result in increases in road speed. The
DAF/Volvo variomatic transmission was even worse for this: you'd hear
the engine revs increase dramatically but the car wouldn't increase in
speed because the belts moved to a lower ratio, and only when the ratio
was correct would it stop doing this and you'd get a fixed ratio and so
an increase in road speed.

As I said, try a decent modern auto. Those with plenty ratios tend to lock
up the TC after moving off. Better for emissions and MPG.

I like a car that has a fixed ratio between engine and road (until you
change the ratio - and if you do it manually, you are *prepared* for it
and sub-consciously adjust the engine speed to adapt to it), rather than
a vague wishy-washy relationship between the two.

A decent modern auto will usually select the same gear as a skilled diver
would too. And better than many.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.