Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

"R D S" wrote in message
On 28/05/2021 20:29, ARW wrote:

And as you said - automatics are for girls (and spastics).

Is that either/or, or both

And Americans.

I once worked with a guy whose father worked for a car-hire company at an
airport. An American had booked a hire car, and because he hadn't specified
automatic, had been allocated a manual car. When my friend's father heard
the guy's accent, he offered to find an automatic instead, realising that an
American may not have ever driven a manual before.

The American said he was happy to have a manual. He was led out to the car,
which was parked in a line of cars parked nose-to-tail. He got in, revved
the car up to about 2000 rpm and the car lurched forwards violently when he
let the clutch in, hitting the car in front and sending it into the car in
front of that. Before the hire employee could stop him, he put the car into
reverse to try to extricate himself, and did the same thing to the cars
behind.

In about 10 seconds he had written off five cars: the one he was driving,
the two in front of him and the two behind. He lost his no-damage deposit...