Posted to uk.d-i-y
JNugent[_7_] JNugent[_7_] is offline

Default Apologies...

On 06/06/2021 04:39 pm, Paul wrote:
JNugent wrote:
On 06/06/2021 02:45 pm, Andy Burns wrote:

JNugent wrote:

My SMTP settings are proving elusive

What's SMTP got to do with a non-moderated group?

That's SMTP as in the return path on a usenet account.

Every account I have on this PC has reset itself over the last few
days and passwords, etc, have had to be re-submitted.

News.individual.net's SMTP setting are always a problem when this
happens. I needed to experiment.

At least, staying on topic, I did it myself.

USENET uses nothing but NNTP protocol.

SMTP is not involved. SMTP stands
for "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol" and is
an email technology.

USENET activity can be spoofed with a telnet
session to Port 119

Â*Â* telnet news.individual.net 119

and then, how could SMTP possibly be involved ???

It's what I was instructed to do by the FAQ at the news.individual.net
website.

The default setting had a default setting to the email server at my ISP.
But changing it to news.individual.net allowed me to post to usenet again.

shrug

What I was finding before making that adjustment was that I could post
to some NGs (eg, alt.test) but not to others (eg, this one).

Sample article. Demonstrating some commands.

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-7...ss-news-server

OK, you tried that, and it didn't work and funny
things happened. Well, the problem is, NNTP servers
today, use "fast" connections and the connection is
dropped, practically as soon as the user stops providing
input. You have to work at "machine speed" to keep a connection.
By implementing this in INN, you can handle about
10X as many customers. But you also ruin the joys
of exercising NNTP protocol over Telnet or Stelnet.

We'll have to be content with this then, as a proof of concept.

https://i.postimg.cc/L6hpTJgq/no-SMTP.gif

Â*Â* Paul