Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Vegan children have stunted growth

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 02:41:44 -0700 (PDT), jkn
wrote:

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 8:29:11 AM UTC+1, wrote:
It was in yesterday's Times. Apparently they have poor bones and they
are shorter than normal.
I suppose the authorities should pick up on this. But it's like FGM,
child abuse that's overlooked because a lot of people do it. However I
don't suppose vegans are regarded as being above the law like certain
other groups.

Bill

And you think this association means ... what, exactly?

1) It means Bill is now going to get a bolloking from all the netcops
for posting about veganism without marking it OT:

2) Bill doesn't care about any association, that wasn't why he posted.

3) Because Bill is so desperate to push his carnist agenda, he tries
to link feeding a child a vegan diet (as approved by the BDA and ADA),
with FGM, hoping it will sensationalise / link the two things.

4) Bill is obviously now suffering from the guilt created by his
actions (killing and eating innocent and sentient creatures (like
livestock)) with his morals that stops him killing and eating innocent
and sentient creatures (like his dogs).

4) Bill didn't include any link or reference as if he did, people
might also read things like:

"The number of vegans in Britain has quadrupled in four years to some
600,000, amid rising concerns over animal welfare and the
environment."

(So, human health is much more than just what people eat it also
includes things the level of pollution they have to live in and how
much food and water they have available).

"Lead author Professor Jonathan Wells, from UCL, said: 'We know that
people are increasingly being drawn to plant-based diets for several
reasons, including promoting animal welfare and reducing our impact on
the climate.

Indeed, a global shift towards plant-based diets is now recognised to
be crucial for preventing climate breakdown, and we strongly support
this effort.

We found that vegan children had lower bone mass even after accounting
for their smaller body and bone size. This means they may enter
adolescence, a phase when bone-specific nutrient needs are higher,
with a bone deficit already established.

If such deficits are caused by a diet that persists into adolescence,
this might increase the risk of adverse bone outcomes later in life."

(*IF* such deficits ... *MIGHT* ...)

"However, on the positive side, the vegan children had 25 per cent
lower levels of 'bad' LDL cholesterol and lower levels of body fat.

Co-author Dr Malgorzata Desmond said: 'We found the vegans had higher
intakes of nutrients that indicated an 'unprocessed' type of plant
-based diet, which is in turn linked to lower body fat and better
cardiovascular risk profile."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...R-average.html

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/child-health/n...e-growth-risks

One thing that generally happens when people go vegan and follow a
vegan diet is that they actually start taking notice of the things
they eat and often discover a whole range of high protein, high
nutrient, high fibre food stuffs that can easily be included in your
diet in an unrefined / unprocessed form.

Anything has to be better than a diet of 'chicken nuggets' and chips.

Personally, I would rather my child was 3cm shorter at some arbitrary
time in their life but live a longer life and not die of bowel cancer
[1], heart disease way before they are old enough to possibly suffer
the other non-life-threatening issues that *might* exist.

https://xkcd.com/552/

Quite.

The good thing though is that it shows that my discussions here aren't
going un-considered, even by the carnists and if Bill ends up learning
a bit more about veganism and *all* the facets it covers, that can
only be a good thing (and not for me specifically of course, but
certainly millions of innocent sentient creatures, the environment and
human health).

Cheers, T i m

[1] Step daughter died at 39 of bowel cancer and loved her processed
meats and was never a big consumer of fruit and veg.