Bob Mannix

Default Cheapest source for internal fire doors?

"Colin" wrote in message
Any normal internal door has heat resistance for the required duration
stated in the fire safety regulations, and only need to be self
closing to suit building regulations. So go and buy your doors and
fit self closing springs or arms to them.

Is this right? I have some 6 panelled Victorian internal doors. Would they
meet building regs if I put a British Standard closer on them? Sounds too
good to be true... I thought they had to be 25mm thick...

They do but your old doors were already there and don't have glass in them
so, according to the letter of the law(!), with a door closer they will do
(as my 6 panel doors did). Any new doors have to be fire doors (in areas
where bilding regs demand them, eg opening on to escape from a loft
conversion) The actual situation vis-a-vis your six panel doors, as put by
my builder:

"f*ck*n stupid! Those doors would last about 30 seconds"

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)