Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Snit[_3_] Snit[_3_] is offline

Default OT: How to attract cows

On Jun 3, 2021 at 12:39:09 PM MST, "%" wrote
:

On 2021-06-03 12:21 p.m., Snit wrote:
On Jun 3, 2021 at 11:29:40 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey""
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 18:51:03 +0100, Snit wrote:

On Jun 1, 2021 at 10:29:18 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
:

On Thu, 27 May 2021 23:10:09 +0100, Snit
wrote:

On May 27, 2021 at 10:51:30 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
:

I'm surprised that you didn't know about them, didn't you work on a
dairy farm before? Were your cows degaussed?

No, I never worked on a farm. Perhaps you are thinking of my short
period with Express Dairies? https://www.linkedin.com/in/boaterdave/

//The degaussing system is installed aboard ship to reduce the ship's
effect on the Earth's magnetic field. In order to accomplish this, the
change in the Earth's field about the ship's hull is "canceled" by
controlling the electric current flowing through degaussing coils wound
in specific locations within the hull.//

We NEVER had a cow on board - not as far as I'm aware! ;-)

I knew about degaussing computer screens but not ships. Interesting.

They do it themselves. The 25"+ Sony Trinitron screens made a
****ing loud
noise.

Older ones had a button to do it.

Really? I had a BnW TV as a kid, and even that didn't have one. Must
be an
American thing, they never design things properly.

https://youtu.be/PjO2vVaxIWM

Lots more you can find:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...button+monitor

I thought we were talking about TVs.

I was responding to " knew about degaussing computer screens but...". But it
happens.

Yes I had one monitor (an Iiyama vision master pro) with a degauss button,
but it was pointless, since it activated on every switch on, and was only
needed if the surrounding magnetism had changed, like moving it, which would
have meant it was unplugged and would have degaussed itself anyway.

They were primarily used as entertainment.

The static was more fun. Charge yourself up on a monitor in the office,
then
tap some one on the shoulder. Strangely, it was them that jumped and not
the
person doing it. Maybe just the unexpected?

For whatever reason I tend to build up a lot to static... shocking myself
and
others. I have mostly just gotten used to it.

I had a colleague who couldn't handle any computer parts as he was
guaranteed
to kill them with static. Probably his clothes or shoes come to think of
it.
Everyone blamed him.

I have been known to kill parts by zapping them. Have killed more than one
mouse that way, too.

A mouse is not static sensitive.

I often get zapped -- or zap -- when I touch them.

And I'm the opposite, I can't kill things with static. I used to touch the
frame of the PC first, but now I don't even bother with that. I certainly
never used a wrist strap. Most sensitive stuff has a diode to absorb high
voltages anyway. There was one time I broke a graphics card though. I had
wrapped a computer I was selling in bubble wrap. I undid it to make a last
minute change before posting, and the unwrapping built up a very big charge
on me. When I lifted the computer, I touched the DVI graphics socket first,
and felt a sharp shock in my finger. That output no longer functioned.

It can happen. I use a wrist strap -- or at leasst touch the side first. I
think computers would explode if I did not.

i drive a copper ground rod into my head and drag a chain around with me

You would not be zapping things.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow