Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default OT: How to attract cows

On 03/06/2021 23:50, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 18:51:03 +0100, Snit
wrote:

On Jun 1, 2021 at 10:29:18 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
:

On Thu, 27 May 2021 23:10:09 +0100, Snit
wrote:

*On May 27, 2021 at 10:51:30 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
:

*** I'm surprised that you didn't know about them, didn't you
work on a
*** dairy farm before? Were your cows degaussed?

** No, I never worked on a farm. Perhaps you are thinking of my
short
** period with Express Dairies?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/boaterdave/

** //The degaussing system is installed aboard ship to reduce
the ship's
** effect on the Earth's magnetic field. In order to accomplish
this, the
** change in the Earth's field about the ship's hull is
"canceled" by
** controlling the electric current flowing through degaussing
coils wound
** in specific locations within the hull.//

** We NEVER had a cow on board - not as far as I'm aware! ;-)

** I knew about degaussing computer screens but not ships.
Interesting.

*They do it themselves.* The 25"+ Sony Trinitron screens made a
****ing loud
*noise.

*Older ones had a button to do it.

Really?* I had a BnW TV as a kid, and even that didn't have one.
Must be an
American thing, they never design things properly.

https://youtu.be/PjO2vVaxIWM

Lots more you can find:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...button+monitor

I thought we were talking about TVs.* Yes I had one monitor (an Iiyama
vision master pro) with a degauss button, but it was pointless, since
it activated on every switch on, and was only needed if the
surrounding magnetism had changed, like moving it, which would have
meant it was unplugged and would have degaussed itself anyway.

*The static was more fun.* Charge yourself up on a monitor in the
office,
then
*tap some one on the shoulder.* Strangely, it was them that jumped
and not
the
*person doing it.* Maybe just the unexpected?

*For whatever reason I tend to build up a lot to static... shocking
myself
and
*others. I have mostly just gotten used to it.

I had a colleague who couldn't handle any computer parts as he was
guaranteed
to kill them with static.* Probably his clothes or shoes come to
think of it.
Everyone blamed him.

I have been known to kill parts by zapping them. Have killed more
than one
mouse that way, too.

A mouse is not static sensitive.

Corded mice are.

And I'm the opposite, I can't kill things with static.* I used to
touch the frame of the PC first, but now I don't even bother with
that.* I certainly never used a wrist strap.

I don't either but don't have carpet.

Most sensitive stuff has a diode to absorb high voltages anyway.

Wrong.

It is extremely rare for an unprotected pin open to the environment on
equipment. There are many types and ranges of protection devices
depending on the application.

With an IC the only examples I have seen are analogue chips without any
protection on an input to reduce internal leakage currents.

Many FETs don't have any gate protection, this is a well known example
(2N7000):
https://www.edn.com/the-shocking-truth-about-fets/

Others do have protection:

https://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/powerhou...mosfet-include

There was one time I broke a graphics card though.* I had wrapped a
computer I was selling in bubble wrap.* I undid it to make a last
minute change before posting, and the unwrapping built up a very big
charge on me.* When I lifted the computer, I touched the DVI graphics
socket first, and felt a sharp shock in my finger.* That output no
longer functioned.

Do much for the purported diode.

Quite.