Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Escape from a locked car

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/06/2021 21:20, NY wrote:

snipped

I was impressed when my wife called in an accident while we were driving
on the A1 a few years ago. The emergency operator didn't need to be told
where we were and said "ah yes, I can see you've just passed the turning
to Kirk Smeaton, heading north". The phone had its GPS turned on (we were
recording a track on Viewranger) so I wonder if the location is
automatically passed to the 999 operator if GPS is enabled. It was too
precise to be based on triangulation of various in-range mobile phone
masts. If he'd quoted the location of the accident, I'd have said that
someone else had phoned in already, but he told us where we were at the
time of the call, which was a bit further north, allowing for delays in
"d'you think we ought to phone 999?", finding the phone and in dialling
999.

I'm sure your phone GPS hadn't told them.

You have no basis for that surety, some 999 systems can do that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_9-1-1

I expect they could see you on the cameras,

But no way of knowing which car is his unless
it is the only one visible which is unlikely.

maybe your phone number had let them guess at your numberplate (from tax
renewal on-line),

Bloody unlikely that is automated in real time.

and one of the ANPR cameras allowed them to home in on the vehicle.