Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Escape from a locked car

On 03/06/2021 13:37, Caecilius wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 13:06:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 03/06/2021 12:39, Pancho wrote:

[snip]

**** of my acquaintance drowned his XF jag.
recovered, battery flat, couldn't unlock, emergency key didn't work
either. not even to open the boot...where the battery is!

I'm surprised there's no mechanical key opening on the boot on the XF.
I've owned a 2000 S-Type and a 2003 XJ (X350) and both had mechanical
key-operated boot locks that could be used to open the boot if the
electrical opening failed for some reason.

I have remembered that he had lost the fob that HAD the emergency key
and not bothered to get a spare key cut from it., he had a blank key in it!

You do need to look carefully though, as the hole for the key is small
and tucked away so it may not be immediately obvious.

I know where it is on mine :-)
And BOTH my fobs have keys and both now work