Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Escape from a locked car

On 03/06/2021 16:53, nightjar wrote:
On 03/06/2021 13:38, Fredxx wrote:
On 03/06/2021 12:56, NY wrote:

Luckily my phone has a GPS app (GPS Status, by Eclipsim) which can
give my location (either lat/long or OS grid ref) so I can read that
out to the emergency services.

I would recommend what3words for those circumstances. As an aside it
also integrates with SatNavs for those difficult places to find.

Although it appears it is not infallible:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57156797

The idea is that a simple misspelling of one of the words will be
obvious. If the words suggest a different country then you ask again
until it's consistent with the known area / land features.

Whereas one digit error in a lat/long or OS ref can mean you're in the
right area but still be an unknown distance away.