Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Gas hob safety cut out?

On 02/06/2021 10:48, jon wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jun 2021 09:31:31 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

My elderly neighbour was immobile yesterday and rang me for help. I
walked into the house and there was a very stong smell of gas. Is hob
was on, with no flame, apparently from the night before when he heated
some beans in a pan.

Now I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no flame.
If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be burning. If
he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should have cut out
the gas? Our gas hob let gas through without a flame.

Or could he have done it on purpose? Worrying.

It is a Stoves Newhome DF 600 SI Dom - I can't find much about it.

If it's faulty he needs it fixed, if that' how it works he needs a gas
alarm.

It might be best to have the gas cut off and use an electric hob or
microwave. Always concerned with gas and disabled people. Electric heaters
in winter.

Not a sound policy if they die of hypothermia for fear of the
electricity bill. Not everyone can afford to pay whatever it takes to
stay warm.

--
Robin