Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default OT: Trankliments

On 01/06/2021 23:37, williamwright wrote:
Today, preoccupied, I said to a visiting child who I was about to take
home, "Have you got all your your trankliments?" Meaning toys, shoes,
phones, etc.

Is this word in use in other areas, or is it just Yorkshire?

According to Wright's 1896 "The English Dialect Dictionary" a bit wider:

TRANKLIMENT, sb. Cum. Wm. Yks. Chs. Shr. Also
written tranklyment Yks.; and in forms tranklement
Yks. Shr.1; trantlement Cum.14 Wm. [tra·ŋkliment,
tra·ŋklimənt.]

1. A trinket, knick-knack, ornament; a toy;
useless article. Cf. trantle, sb.1 2, trinklements.
Cum.14 Wm. Thoo mun be a mafflin ta think et I'd knaa what
ta meeak a sick trantlements, Brigsteear Gooardy, in Clarke
Spec. Dial. (ed. 1885) pt. iii. 23. w.Yks. Ah howd it true wi'
him wot sings On golden coorded tranklyment, Pogmoor Olm.
(1896) 3; w.Yks.2 Chs. Chs. Sheaf (1884) III. 178.

2. Gear, belongings, odds and ends; gen. used in pl.
w.Yks. It's heigh time at we'd a ockshan sale, an sell off all wir
ships an' feightin tranklements, Tom Treddlehoyle Bairnsla
Ann. (1860) 56. s.Chs.1 Iv ahy aam· tÅ* weyt-wesh dh)aay·s-plee·s,
ahy mÅ*n aav· au· dheyz traangk·limÅ*nts tai·n aayt; ahy
mÅ*n aav· Å* tleyÅ*r bongk. Shr.1 Now then, young uns, clier away
yore tranklements.

I'm a bit surprised you don't have a well-thumbed copy of Wright's so as
to be able to educate the grandchildren on their heritage

--
Robin