Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn Manson Marilyn Manson is offline

Default How much does Discovery+ suck?

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:29:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:16:42 AM UTC-4, Marilyn Manson wrote:
Heres a list of some of the technical issues with the Discovery+
streaming service. Im a couple of weeks into my free 6 month
trial and so far Im not impressed at all. Ive experienced many
of these issues, on different devices, including smart TVs and
Fire sticks.

https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en...chnical-Issues

I consider myself technologically savvy, but that doesnt mean that -
even though I can - I want to go through all the cache clears, app
reinstalls, router resets, etc. suggested as *possible* fixes.

Worst part is when its not even me thats watching, like when it crashes
while SWMBO is watching. I have to drop what Im doing and fix it for her.

Based on my experience so far, theres no way Id pay for this service.

We've been using Discovery+ for several months, and I don't recall any
issues. Or at least no more so than any other streaming interface. To
me, it seems like HBO Max is the most prone to getting itself locked up.

We watch exclusively on a Samsung smart TV.

Cindy Hamilton

I'm glad it's working out for you, I think.

You don't recall *any* issues but at the same time the problem frequency is
"no more so than any other streaming interface". So which is it? No issues
at all or some issues?

Either way, the issues I am having appear to be common enough that they are
mentioned on a website dedicated to a host of problems. My favorite was the
DRM error. I had "How It's Made" streaming for a few hours, kind of as background
noise while I was doing stuff around the house. Suddenly the sound stopped, so
the next time I passed the TV I took a look.

I had a DRM (Digital Rights Management) error and some verbiage about a "problem
playing protected content". Huh? The same show had been playing for hours, episode
after episode. I turned off the TV, turned it back on and continued watching "How It's
Made" for a few more hours. What happened to the "protected content" issue? Poof...
gone.

DAGS 'discoveryplus problems'. It ain't just me.