Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT Taps

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:32:24 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
news
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 31 May 2021 12:05:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 5/31/2021 11:19 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2021 11:03:48 -0400, micky
wrote:

OT, sometimes when Taps is played, an intentional error is made at one
point, but not all the time.

Whaqt do you know about this?

What is the word for this flaw in its presentation?

Sometimes it's played all-funny-like and called
The Last Post.
John T.

https://nationalpost.com/news/taps-v...-deep-meanings

Interesting article, but after a while and after I found a recording of
The Last Post, I realized it answered a different question from the one
I asked. The Last Post is an entirely different melody from Taps. Not
surprising since it's played in Canada.

I was asking about Taps itself, but played with a flaw. In one of the
lines where it goes daaa-da-daaa, instead there is daaa-da-dedah, one
note played off pitch for a split second.

...well, while google is clever, sometimes it makes all the difference
what search terms are used. When I tried instead of flaw or error,
"imperfect rendition", I got exactly one/two hits, that explained it.

It was only played that way once, at JFK's funeral in 1963. And it was
a mistake. But I and some others think it captured the feeling of those
who were there or watching better than a perfect rendition.

https://www.tapsbugler.com/the-letter/

The first video doens't play it, but does descibe it, at the 6th note.

The second video included it. So does the third.

There are no valves on a bugle, so the buglar's voice,
I guess it is, determines the pitch.

There is no voice involved, the bugler blows into the bugle.

I know that he blows but he does more than that. How does he change
the pitch? Assume I put "voice" in quotes.

All thesek 50+ years I thought it was on purpose.

Farther down was a second hit, the buglar's obituary in the NYTimes
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/u...ies-at-74.html
which talks about how he made the error.

Also,but without both words in a row:
https://www.news-herald.com/news/ohi...84a3b69a3.html

Talk about coincidence, as I'm reading the article Taps is being played
on the TV. Watching History Channel. The World Wars.

Definitely a coincidence, but it is Memorial Day, for both of us.