Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Taps

OT, sometimes when Taps is played, an intentional error is made at one
point, but not all the time.

Whaqt do you know about this?

What is the word for this flaw in its presentation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2021 11:03:48 -0400, micky
wrote:

OT, sometimes when Taps is played, an intentional error is made at one
point, but not all the time.

Whaqt do you know about this?

What is the word for this flaw in its presentation?

Sometimes it's played all-funny-like and called
The Last Post.
John T.

https://nationalpost.com/news/taps-v...-deep-meanings

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OT, sometimes when Taps is played, an intentional error is made at one
point, but not all the time.

Whaqt do you know about this?

What is the word for this flaw in its presentation?

Sometimes it's played all-funny-like and called
The Last Post.
John T.

https://nationalpost.com/news/taps-v...-deep-meanings

Talk about coincidence, as I'm reading the article Taps is being played
on the TV. Watching History Channel. The World Wars.

Bagpipes sure make things sound sad.

Then there is this: Blood upon the Risers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDH2eLE2Zmk

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OT, sometimes when Taps is played, an intentional error is made at one
point, but not all the time.

Whaqt do you know about this?

What is the word for this flaw in its presentation?

Sometimes it's played all-funny-like and called
The Last Post.
John T.

https://nationalpost.com/news/taps-v...-deep-meanings

Interesting article, but after a while and after I found a recording of
The Last Post, I realized it answered a different question from the one
I asked. The Last Post is an entirely different melody from Taps. Not
surprising since it's played in Canada.

I was asking about Taps itself, but played with a flaw. In one of the
lines where it goes daaa-da-daaa, instead there is daaa-da-dedah, one
note played off pitch for a split second.

....well, while google is clever, sometimes it makes all the difference
what search terms are used. When I tried instead of flaw or error,
"imperfect rendition", I got exactly one/two hits, that explained it.

It was only played that way once, at JFK's funeral in 1963. And it was
a mistake. But I and some others think it captured the feeling of those
who were there or watching better than a perfect rendition.

https://www.tapsbugler.com/the-letter/

The first video doens't play it, but does descibe it, at the 6th note.

The second video included it. So does the third.

There are no valves on a bugle, so the buglar's voice, I guess it is,
determines the pitch.

All thesek 50+ years I thought it was on purpose.

Farther down was a second hit, the buglar's obituary in the NYTimes
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/u...ies-at-74.html
which talks about how he made the error.

Also,but without both words in a row:
https://www.news-herald.com/news/ohi...84a3b69a3.html

Talk about coincidence, as I'm reading the article Taps is being played
on the TV. Watching History Channel. The World Wars.

Definitely a coincidence, but it is Memorial Day, for both of us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OT, sometimes when Taps is played, an intentional error is made at one
point, but not all the time.

Whaqt do you know about this?

What is the word for this flaw in its presentation?

Sometimes it's played all-funny-like and called
The Last Post.
John T.

https://nationalpost.com/news/taps-v...-deep-meanings

Talk about coincidence, as I'm reading the article Taps is being played
on the TV. Watching History Channel. The World Wars.

Bagpipes sure make things sound sad.

Depends on the march, the black bear doesnt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7PKSOAtUjc

Posted to alt.home.repair

news

wrote:

[...]

There is no voice involved, the bugler blows into the bugle.

All thesek 50+ years I thought it was on purpose.

Farther down was a second hit, the buglar's obituary in the NYTimes
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/u...ies-at-74.html
which talks about how he made the error.

Also,but without both words in a row:
https://www.news-herald.com/news/ohi...84a3b69a3.html

Talk about coincidence, as I'm reading the article Taps is being played
on the TV. Watching History Channel. The World Wars.

Definitely a coincidence, but it is Memorial Day, for both of us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:22:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bill Wright to Rodent Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:32:24 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:32:24 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

I know that he blows but he does more than that. How does he change
the pitch? Assume I put "voice" in quotes.

All thesek 50+ years I thought it was on purpose.

Farther down was a second hit, the buglar's obituary in the NYTimes
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/u...ies-at-74.html
which talks about how he made the error.

Also,but without both words in a row:
https://www.news-herald.com/news/ohi...84a3b69a3.html

Talk about coincidence, as I'm reading the article Taps is being played
on the TV. Watching History Channel. The World Wars.

Definitely a coincidence, but it is Memorial Day, for both of us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There are no valves on a bugle, so the buglar's voice,
I guess it is, determines the pitch.

There is no voice involved, the bugler blows into the bugle.

I know that he blows but he does more than that. How does he change
the pitch? Assume I put "voice" in quotes.

What you asked was very clear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:32:24 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embouchure

Assume I put "voice" in quotes.

All thesek 50+ years I thought it was on purpose.

Farther down was a second hit, the buglar's obituary in the NYTimes
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/u...ies-at-74.html
which talks about how he made the error.

Also,but without both words in a row:
https://www.news-herald.com/news/ohi...84a3b69a3.html

Talk about coincidence, as I'm reading the article Taps is being played
on the TV. Watching History Channel. The World Wars.

Definitely a coincidence, but it is Memorial Day, for both of us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OT, sometimes when Taps is played, an intentional error is made at one
point, but not all the time.

Whaqt do you know about this?

What is the word for this flaw in its presentation?

Sometimes it's played all-funny-like and called
The Last Post.
John T.

https://nationalpost.com/news/taps-v...-deep-meanings

Talk about coincidence, as I'm reading the article Taps is being played
on the TV. Watching History Channel. The World Wars.

Bagpipes sure make things sound sad.

Then there is this: Blood upon the Risers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDH2eLE2Zmk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkhBvO8_kM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huRwBFmAx78

Eric Bogle is a Scot that was transplanted to Australia so the Dropkick
Murphy's version might be easier to understand.

"And I can't help but wonder oh Willy McBride
Do all those who lie here know why they died
Did you really believe them when they told you the cause
Did you really believe that this war would end wars
Well the suffering, the sorrow, the glory, the shame
The killing and dying it was all done in vain
Oh Willy McBride it all happened again
And again, and again, and again, and again

Did they beat the drums slowly
Did they play the fife lowly
Did they sound the death march as they lowered you down
Did the band play the last post and chorus
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest "

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/drop...soffrance.html

On this Decoration Day let's not forget all the politicians that sent
young men to die. The first commemorations were for the dead of
Lincoln's war.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2021 11:03 PM, rbowman wrote:

Â*Â*Â* Bagpipes sure make things sound sad.

Â* Then there is this:Â* Blood upon the Risers

Â*Â* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDH2eLE2Zmk

[...]

Everyone should be made to watch the reality and cruelty of war.
Perhaps it would change how we do things in the future. But probably not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2021 8:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

it would change how we do things in the future.Â* But probably not.

Sure. Also, the videos of the scene after mass murders.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2021 23:08:17 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

On the original Star Trek episode titled, "A Taste of Armageddon", the
people on two warring planets have become so tired of fighting that they
agree to allow their respective computers to run simulations, at the end of
which the computers announce how many citizens on each side have been
"killed". At that point, the "killed" citizens have a certain amount of
time to report to the disintegrator where they will actually be killed.
Captain Kirk gave one of his best speeches in that episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taste_of_Armageddon

Seth McFarlane doing an excellent Kirk impression with the speech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R94sRLS0QWI

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Mon, 31 May 2021 21:03:19 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkhBvO8_kM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huRwBFmAx78

Eric Bogle is a Scot that was transplanted to Australia so the Dropkick
Murphy's version might be easier to understand.

"And I can't help but wonder oh Willy McBride
Do all those who lie here know why they died
Did you really believe them when they told you the cause

Oh, ****! Come on, sing that song for us, senile weirdo! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 6:43:39 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:32:24 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

The tension in his lips. Even with a valved trumpet or other brass
instrument, the player changes the pitch with his lips. The valves
help, but they don't do the whole job.

Google "how to play a trumpet".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are no valves on a bugle, so the buglar's voice, I guess it is,
determines the pitch.

Bugles, trumpets, baritones, trombones, rely on the player buzzing his lips to create
the sound. They change the pitch at least partly by changing how the player squeezes
his lips. Lips replace reeds on things like saxophones and clarinets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 03:04:24 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 6:43:39 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:32:24 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
news In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 31 May 2021 12:05:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski

wrote:

[...]

One of my uncles played trumpet in his high school band. When he died, his
trumpet came to stay at our house for a time, where each of us kids picked
it up and tried to 'play it'. We could each make noise with it, but we
quickly had a beet red face and had to put it down to catch our breath.

The trumpet disappeared pretty quickly, which I now assume was just Mom's
way of saying she was tired of the noise. That was ~40 years before Google
and we didn't have anyone to show us how to play it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2021 23:08:17 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

Not, because the wrong people will watch it.

Same with the present reality, opinions shut down reality... I have seen
reality. It sucks sometimes, but I forward and don't look back because it can't
be changed.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 11:08:23 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat
And the lines on the map
Moved from side to side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYAYn7pyues

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 01 Jun 2021 12:33:13 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

One of my uncles played trumpet in his high school band. When he died, his
trumpet came to stay at our house for a time, where each of us kids picked
it up and tried to 'play it'. We could each make noise with it, but we
quickly had a beet red face and had to put it down to catch our breath.

Maybe it's meant to teach humility.

The trumpet disappeared pretty quickly, which I now assume was just Mom's
way of saying she was tired of the noise. That was ~40 years before Google
and we didn't have anyone to show us how to play it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One of my uncles played trumpet in his high school band. When he died, his
trumpet came to stay at our house for a time, where each of us kids picked
it up and tried to 'play it'. We could each make noise with it, but we
quickly had a beet red face and had to put it down to catch our breath.

Maybe it's meant to teach humility.

One way or another, life is full of those teaching moments.

The trumpet disappeared pretty quickly, which I now assume was just Mom's
way of saying she was tired of the noise. That was ~40 years before Google
and we didn't have anyone to show us how to play it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 8:03:54 AM UTC-7, micky wrote:
OT, sometimes when Taps is played, an intentional error is made at one
point, but not all the time.

Whaqt do you know about this?

What is the word for this flaw in its presentation?

"Broken Taps".
I wear a flag tie in honor of all those who sacrificed to give me the freedom to wear a flag tie. To all my Brothers Coast Guard Brothers reading this: "Semper Paratus".
Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 12:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Jon Foster posted for all of us to
digest...

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 8:03:54 AM UTC-7, micky wrote:
OT, sometimes when Taps is played, an intentional error is made at one
point, but not all the time.

Whaqt do you know about this?

What is the word for this flaw in its presentation?

"Broken Taps".
I wear a flag tie in honor of all those who sacrificed to give me the freedom to wear a flag tie. To all my Brothers Coast Guard Brothers reading this: "Semper Paratus".
Jon

Thank you for your service.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 3:05:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 8:03:54 AM UTC-7, micky wrote:
OT, sometimes when Taps is played, an intentional error is made at one
point, but not all the time.

Whaqt do you know about this?

What is the word for this flaw in its presentation?

"Broken Taps".
I wear a flag tie in honor of all those who sacrificed to give me the freedom to wear a flag tie. To all my Brothers Coast Guard Brothers reading this: "Semper Paratus".
Jon

USCG LORSTA Sylt, Germany, 1975-1976 (LORAN-C Technician)
USCG LORSTA Port Clarence, AK 1976-1977 (LORAN-C Senior Technician)
USCG TRACEN Governors Island, NY 1977-1979 (LORAN-C Instructor)

Semper Paratus