Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange (and very annoying !!!!!) lockup

On 28/05/2021 13:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 27/05/2021 22:56, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 27/05/2021 20:22, gareth evans wrote:
Any known bugs here?Â* ...

W10 with FireFox

Usually in the evening.

I'll look at both of my gmail accounts, but when
signing out of the second, the laptop freezes with
the disk light on.

There's no keyboard response in FireFox, not even
to Alt-F4, and no mouse cursor.

There's no Internet activity indicated on the
LEDs of the router.

The only recourse is to shut down by an extended
pressing of the power button.

It's only been happening in the last week or so.

I've had a similar thing with one or two specific websites in Pale Moon
under Linux Mint. It was resolved by adding a couple of domains to "My
filters" in uBlock origin. I think the explanation was a rogue script
which had a sort of recursive call on memory. Once that memory had
filled up the OS just choked.

I thought of that but rejected it in this instance because of the
permanently on disk light..

I don't know for certain, but if ram was full wouldn't the script try to
access more memory by using the swap file on the HD? That would lead to
an "on" disk access led.

yes, but in my experience thats not solid on - thats fliclkering on and off.

"Using native JavaScript, no, it is not generally possible to access a
local file. Using plugins and extensions like ActiveX, Flash, or Java
you can get around this rule, generally with some difficulty".

What that means is that its a really bad and nasty web app if it IS
causing continuous disk access.

It only needs one of those nasties to lock up the OS.

essentially a virus. BUT ...
...browsers use the disk a LOT as a cache and to store cookies and other
stuff.

So my best guess is a bad disk

Yes Java**** can cause browsers and computers to lock up, but not with
the disk light on

Try disabling uBlock temporarily if you are running it, and see if that
helps

Or disabling javascript...

Isn't that, to some extent, what uBlock does?

Not unless you tell it to.

I use ublock to disable javascript so I can read (but not comment on)
the daily telegraph...for free.

kind word alone.

Al Capone