Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

ARW wrote:

John Smith wrote:

I would get a petrol not diesel - I've never had a diesel.

A few years ago I said I would never have a diesel car.

Actually there is nothing wrong with them.

I've flip-flopped between manual and auto over the years

I'd only had petrol until 2007 when I got a 2.2 diesel manual, then in
2011 changed to a 3.0 diesel auto, then after dieselgate I didn't trust
the gov not to tax the **** out of diesel, so went to a 2.0 turbo petrol
auto.

And as you said - automatics are for girls (and spastics).

do Fiat make DSGs?

I miss rear wheel drive no matter what fuel it is.

previous car was 4wd with sports diff to vector torque from side to side
as well as rear to front.

current car auto switches from fwd to 4wd, it improves fuel economy
compared to permanent 4wd, but I preferred the sports diff.