Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange (and very annoying !!!!!) lockup

On 27/05/2021 22:00, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , gareth evans
writes
Any known bugs here?Â* ...

W10 with FireFox

Usually in the evening.

I'll look at both of my gmail accounts, but when
signing out of the second, the laptop freezes with
the disk light on.

There's no keyboard response in FireFox, not even
to Alt-F4, and no mouse cursor.

There's no Internet activity indicated on the
LEDs of the router.

The only recourse is to shut down by an extended
pressing of the power button.

It's only been happening in the last week or so.

TIA

Try asking Jim, Gareth - he's an expert on matters digital.

well if windows behaves anything like linux, that is a sign that
uninterruptible disk activity is going on.

Now its fine for Winders of firefox to flush its caches as gmail closes
any locally held files ...

....but that should complete unless its doing some sort of data
reorganization - Thunderbird does 'folder compression' which can do
this, but even that is interruptible

No, my fear is that what is actually happening is that winders is trying
to read or write to a bad disk.

You need to invoke SMART tools to interrogate the disk and see if there
are in fact too many errors

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"