Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Strange (and very annoying !!!!!) lockup

gareth evans wrote:
On 27/05/2021 22:24, Roger Mills wrote:
On 27/05/2021 20:22, gareth evans wrote:
Any known bugs here? ...

W10 with FireFox

Usually in the evening.

I'll look at both of my gmail accounts, but when
signing out of the second, the laptop freezes with
the disk light on.

There's no keyboard response in FireFox, not even
to Alt-F4, and no mouse cursor.

There's no Internet activity indicated on the
LEDs of the router.

The only recourse is to shut down by an extended
pressing of the power button.

It's only been happening in the last week or so.

TIA

When this happens, can you Alt/TAB to another application? Can you open
Task Manager with Ctrl/Shift/ESC and then shut down FF, or is everything
completely dead?

When you suspect that it's going to freeze, can you open Task Manager,
display processes and sort on the CPU column to see whether something is
hogging the processor?

No, can't launch Task Manager because of unresponsive mouse pad and
keyboard.

Remove the 64-bit version of Firefox you are running
and use the 32-bit one instead.

This bounds memory usage to 2GB on the 64-bit OS.
That's because the 32-bit address space is split
into 2GB user:2GB kernel space, and it cannot
grab more than 2GB on you.

This is called "keeping greedy Firefox in a cage".

Recommended min memory on the laptop would be 3GB
(which is by chance, what mine has, a 1GB stick,
a 2GB stick). The idea is, if the machine had that
much memory, Firefox might auger in, but leaving
your OS still running. If the machine has the
recommended minimum (1GB RAM installed), then
it's not going to work well running either version.

Look in the Win32 folder he

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/fire...leases/88.0.1/

Then drill down to he

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/fire...1/win32/en-GB/

Firefox Setup 88.0.1.exe 52M 04-May-2021 21:46

The profile folders should not care about the bitness.
The Program Files (x86) will have a brand new,
consistent set of materials for the job.

1) Programs and Features : Uninstall Firefox 64 bit
2) Double click your new Firefox Setup 88.0.1.exe and install.

Since you're currently running 88.0.1, the 32 bit version
will require no changes to the Profile folder.

There have been other notes about 21H1 problems on
some machines. You can roll back 21H1, if you have not
already deleted C:\Windows.old . 20H2 likely runs a bit
better. One of the changes, is a change to a HyperV
kind of setup (the Host OS is a guest). I have not
seen a good article with modified-arch picture. There
is an arch picture for Hyper-V, but I would appreciate
seeing penciled in, the crap they're doing on the
recently released setup.

Hypervisors makes debug almost impossible, for any kind
of significant problem.

And no, I also don't have any info on the relationship
of the Hyper-V settings in Programs and Features : Windows Features
versus what the OS is using for itself.

Windows now uses a "container" to launch executables and
this is organizationally claimed to be part of
Windows Defender. Probably at this point, not everything
runs in a container. Office 365 Excel or Word might.

There was a report of reduced framerate in games,
implying a graphics issue caused by HyperV usage.
A computer would be best-off, if it had SLAT/EPT support
in hardware, and of all the relics I have here, only
one computer is really "designed for Windows 10" at
the moment :-/ Until someone can explain what the
changes are doing, it's going to be pretty difficult
to help people, one way or another. I don't
particularly like suggesting going back an OS
revision, but if that's what it takes...

Before 21H1 came in, on hearing some of the plan
(the Container Era), I was concerned that older
computers would just be turned away. But that
didn't happen. They could only do that, by
relaxing the SLAT/EPT requirement (which costs
frame rate on graphics). And guess what, Firefox
uses hardware compositing, and it recomputes
that web page *60 times a second* using the GPU.
There's a flogging going on there. Now, is that
important ? Well, who really knows.

Your symptoms don't suggest any of my answers
are right. What is it doing to the disk ?
Process Monitor is the only tool we've got, and
there is no assurance it can tell us anything about
"items launched in containers".

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...nloads/procmon

It's the same on Linux. A guy said "can someone help me with
this Snap, it's running slow". And that's when I discovered
I had zero tools to use with it. The gentleman was a *developer*,
not a user, and he was at a loss as to what to do next. And
that's containerization.

Some people love the containers. You can see some horribly
written articles by them on the web. I get the impression
though, the stuff they use "just works" and they wake
up every morning with the sun shining and so on.

Good luck, and if you see any change in symptoms,
report back. Just so there are more reports of
what helps or doesn't help.

Paul