Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

In article ,
On 2021-05-26 13:01:35 +0000, R D S said:

On 26/05/2021 13:29, John Smith wrote:

But our current Volvo is a 2005 model - no idea about recent ones
except they are costly. I've never paid more than £3500 for a car.

All ours have been under 7k and we tend to keeo them for 4-5 years
before changing.

This one is 15k (missus wants something 'nice') so it has to be right.
How people shell out much more than that is beyond me.

Indeed.

See if you can find a geartronic model - I think some also have steering
wheel paddles to shift gear so you can pretend to be Lewis Hamilton.

It was a geartronic I drove.
There's so much traffic around these parts these days you end up with
clutch foot ache.
Didn't think i'd like an auto but was very pleased and now having a
complete rethink, plus as stated elsewhere, no more clutch replacement.

Headache if the box goes kaput though!

As an aside, it was interesting when I almost launched everyone through
the windscreen the first time I wanted to stop it and my left foot
instinctively went for the clutch and found the brake.

The twin clutch/layshaft boxes are pretty pricey, and I'm told not easy to
fix, unlike conventional autos.

But on the forum for mine, I've not heard of any failures. Unlike clutches
on the manual version.

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW