Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default OT: Manual or automatic gearbox? and XC60 opinion...

In article , R D S writes
I'm looking for a car, XC60 2.0 D4 if anyone has any opinions on those.

I've never owned an automatic and never wanted one but I test drove one
yesterday and while i'm not going to be buying that particular one
having driven it i'm wondering if i'd actually prefer an auto. It
certainly wasn't like autos of old that i've driven.

But if I come back to the idea i'd prefer a manual I can save a couple
of grand.

Looking for opinions from anyone who's changed sides.

I prefer autos, definitely. They've improved immensely. There are of
course different types now but the principle is the same. 90% of the
time in a manual your responses are dictated to you by engine road speed
and desire to accelerate or otherwise.
I've had auto 1100, Daf 44, metro, Polo, Renault 5, Volvo 740, 940, VW
Transporter, Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, Defender V8, Suzuki Alto.

When you drive one regularly you realise just how automatic driving a
manual actually is and you get rid of all that pointless left foot down
up work and gear changing actually is.
Favourite was probably the DAF with its CVR system. I was reading up on
Suburus recently and couldn't believe that they have actually gone to
the trouble of building in step functions into their CVR system to make
it feel like a "normal" automatic. The customer reviews slated it.

But it is down to personal choice in the end. Don't think the question
arises with EVs
--
bert