Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trying to hang upper cabinets in 100+ yr old brick wall.

On 25/05/2021 19:12, alan_m wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Andy Burns wrote:

Owain Lastname wrote:

I would strongly recommend using the wall hanging bar, which means
you can put in multiple fixings along the row of cabinets, and also
ensures all the cabinets are level.

example:https://www.locksonline.com/Cabinet-...Long-6492.html

Yep, the B&Q cabinets come with two ****ing little 2" pieces of that bar
per cabinet, which inevitably need screws where screws don't want to go,
fitting a whole length of bar is much easier.

Despite this there must be 100,000s of cabinets fixed to the walls with
the supplied fixings and very little reported evidence that they are
falling off walls.

Well no. The first thing I discovered on kitchen fittings was not to use
the supplied fittings on stud walls. Fine on blockwork, dangerous on stud

Since such things are behind the cabinets a lot of them are simply
either utilised by hacking out plasterbaoard and putting a line of
timber ply or MDF along at cabinet height and using those fittings, our
using batten instead of them to support the weight

My current kitchen was built over a quite curved wall. I simply used a
bloody great sheet of MDF screwed to the studs and packed out to
accommodate the curve to allow me to rapidly run wiring and to provide
the ideal surface to mount cabinets from - using the 'supplied fittings'

But where I haven't done that any high cabinets do not use the 'supplied
fittings'

I have a huge box of them left over.

Remember that from the 1950s to around the 1980s, studwork was
deprecated. 'proper' houses were built of radioactive recycled coal ash.

Only once the eco panic was started did people realise that whacking up
crappy timber farames, filling them with insulation and slapping PB over
the top was cheap and energy saving

If you want structural integrity, replace the PB with 12mm MDF or ply
instead

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that