Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Ford Lightning. Battery F150

On 5/25/2021 5:40 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 4:14:43 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

A bunch cut.

WTF does China have to do with us driving cars. You keep bringing a
straw man into it. We can ask but we cannot make China do anything.
Lets keep on topic.

More cut.

The world will need a lot of critical materials if we go to EVs if this is right.

" Indeed, a global energy transition like the one President Biden insists upon will send the need for critical materials skyrocketing by 2040:

Lithium: +4,200%
Graphite: +2,500%
Nickel: +1,900%
Rare-earths: +700%

The U.S. is setting itself up for major geopolitical risk: according to the Centre for Strategic and International Studies, China provides more than 85% of the worlds rare-earths and holds 67% of the global supply of scarce metals and minerals. The U.S. itself imports some 80% of its rare-earths from China.

China also controls the supply chains, utilizing its widening Belt and Road Initiative that now encompasses 45 countries (more aptly termed €śpartners€ť). We have already seen the devastation that such Chinese supply dominance can bring. If we dont start thinking more strategically, we are on a path toward cartel dependence. Given the urgency of reducing greenhouse gas emissions, this is a possibility that we simply cannot afford."

From
https://www.realclearenergy.org/articles/2021/05/21/climate_change_and_the_energy_transition_demand_a_ us_mining_revolution_778126.html

I don't doubt any of that. However, scientist and engineers are working
on solutions to not need those materials It will affect us on many
things, not just EVs.