Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default A genuine home repair question.

On 5/23/2021 5:39 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2021 18:21:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Â*Â* "Water is incompressible"

IIRC, it actually is but it takes a really large amount of energy. If
the sun were 100% converted to energy, it still wouldn't be enough.

I doubt that.
And what volume of water compressed by how much?

Plutonium "fission" atom bombs originally (and probably still) work on
"implosion". Explosives around the plutonium reduce the volume of the
solid metal sphere to 1/2 the original volume (so the entire sphere is
suddenly "critical").

The info I see is the plutonium is a hollow sphere filled with hydrogen
gas, so relative easy to compress with the bomb around it that sets it
off. It is not a solid sphere.

Plutonium bombs, at least the first 2, the plutonium sphere was solid
except for a small "initiator" at the center (that, when the core was
compressed, furnished neutrons to start the chain reaction). The
plutonium core (and the "damper" around it) were, in fact, compressed to
1/2 their volume.

No Plutonium bombs were "gun" type bombs. Half the Pt was at one end
of the "barrel" and it was fired into the other half to become
critical.

As in other posts, U235 bombs were a gun type.
The uranium "bullet" was not half the uranium mass.

Gun types won't compress uranium enough to go critical so is a sphere
with explosives all around, timed perfectly to focus the pressure wave
into the center form all sides at once.

Plutonium bombs could have used a "gun" mechanism. The problem is that
plutonium has natural decay that produces neutrons that would cause a
chain reaction before the 2 masses were fully together. That chain
reaction would produce a heat explosion that would blow the parts apart.
That would result in a weak partial explosion.

The implosion bomb created a critical mass by compression in a much
shorter time.

The "perfect timing" of the explosions (multiple) was a major
engineering problem that was solved with "explosive lenses".

For all practical purposes water is incompressible. I am sure it could
be compressed if it fell into a black hole.

Everything is compressible, to some degree. Water compresses at ~50
ppm per atm (water isn't special in this regard). It's certainly not
enough for this application but not absolute either.

Water, and solids, are incompressible in the world we live in.
My point was that they are, in fact, compressible. And that does not
require the total energy of the sun.