Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Two world wars and one would cup ..not

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/05/2021 16:24, fred wrote:
John le Carre quote

To hear Brexiters claiming that Britain won the war single-handedly
is, he says, €œemetic€. €œThe wonderful rightwing military historian
Max Hastings points out that we were bad fighters, that we were
extremely badly organised, and our contribution in terms of blood and
wealth and material was €“ I cant say trivial, but tremendously small
by comparison to the sacrifices of the other major powers. Russia
lost, what, 30 million men? And in treasure, heaven knows what. We
didnt win the war in that sense. We were on the winning side by the
end, but we were really quite minor players.€

While probably true that no one country (other than Germany) could have
"won" in isolation

Corse the USA could and did in the pacific.

Much of the rest of that does not stand up to any scrutiny...

Bull**** with the Dunkirk, Malaya and Singapore utter fiascos.

Had the British mainland not remained free of occupation, any attempt to
retake the European mainland would have been far more difficult.

Thats bull**** too with north africa.

The British empire and commonwealth brought not only access to millions
more troops, and vast material and manufacturing resources,

There was in fact **** all of that used
for anything except their own defence.

but also opened theatres in many more places,

Only really north africa that mattered much.

further stretching Nazi resources.

Bletchly code breaking efforts alone are estimated to have shortened
hostilities by at least two years as well.

Sure, but thats different to being what produced the win.

Certain Britain was the reason the yanks concentrated on
europe first but thats a separate matter to who won it.