Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Trying to hang upper cabinets in 100+ yr old brick wall.

On 23/05/2021 20:45, SueEllen wrote:

I mounted my kitchen cabinets into 100+ yr old brick using a masonry
bit, and wall anchors. I also used canned air to blow out all the dust
from the hole and then dampened the inside of the hole, then inserted
Gorilla glue and then tapped in the anchor and attached the cabinets.
I've had 2 cabinets fail and begin pulling out of the wall (one quite
suddenly and dangerously) and am now truly perplexed as to how to mount
them to safely stay put. I've read about some folks using a French cleat
on these types of walls, but am unclear as to the advantage?Â* Am also
thinking I might need to add some kind of reinforcement to those which
haven't failed -- yet! Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

With cabinets, most of the load is on the fixing in shear. So long
fixings (4" screw into wall plugs) with the hole drilled at a slight
downward angle will make the fixing almost impossible to pull out with a
shear load.

Fixing all the cabinets together will also help resist movement of any
one cabinet in isolation,

Lastly a fixing batten under the base of all the cabinets will also help
take the load.

The advantage of a French cleat is that it can be quite a wide bit of
timber, that allows many fixing spread over a reasonable area. So again
reducing the stress on any individual fastening.

--
Cheers,

John.