Posted to uk.d-i-y
SueEllen[_2_] SueEllen[_2_] is offline

Default Trying to hang upper cabinets in 100+ yr old brick wall.

I mounted my kitchen cabinets into 100+ yr old brick using a masonry bit, and wall anchors. I also used canned air to blow out all the dust from the hole and then dampened the inside of the hole, then inserted Gorilla glue and then tapped in the anchor and attached the cabinets. I've had 2 cabinets fail and begin pulling out of the wall (one quite suddenly and dangerously) and am now truly perplexed as to how to mount them to safely stay put.
I've read about some folks using a French cleat on these types of walls, but am unclear as to the advantage? Am also thinking I might need to add some kind of reinforcement to those which haven't failed -- yet! Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-3120753-.htm