Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default ice and water shield

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And you sensibly went for a masonry house, but were
stupid enough to use stupid shingles for the roof.

Some engineer you two are.

I didn't know it was masonry until after we signed the papers.
It never occurred to me to ask; I assumed it was stick-built.

Some engineer you are.

In retrospect, I would have preferred a stick-built house.

More fool you.

For one thing, I'd be able to insulate the
exterior walls so I wouldn't have R1 walls.

You can with masonry walls.

For another, we wouldn't have to rent
a diamond-bit core drill every time we
want to make some kind hole in the house.

You dont.

Why should I pay a premium for a steel roof
when shingles will outlive me anyway?

Because it isnt just about you, stupid. Some engineer you are.