Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default How many hours would it take to build a simple 10 x 12 shed?

On Sat, 22 May 2021 16:56:11 -0700 (PDT), Deguza
wrote:

Hello all,
How many hours would it take to build a simple 10 x 12 shed?
I’m trying to find the cost of labor for building a shed. An elderly friend of mine
who doesn’t use the Internet asked me the question. She wanted to get a few
estimates but nobody has bothered to come by.
She is thinking of a simple shed that she will store some household items.
She doesn’t want to buy a pre-fabricated shed kit from like of Home Depot.
Unfinished walls, sloping roof with sheet metal corrugated.
We’re talking about experienced carpenter or handyman hours here.
Thanks!
Deguza

Labour :

1. Digging out and prepping/laying a decent base ?
.. a very important step which could involve a lot of man-hours !
.. think about it - rocks, tree roots, etc
1 - 2 days hard labour - maybe not for a carpenter

2. carpentry hours ? rough guess 2 days.

Not labour :

2. Building permit ? in my area 10 x 12 requires it .

3. Flooring ? pressure treated 5/4 is my preferred.
cheaper choices will rot out in 10 years.

4. Metal roof ? if you say so.

5. don't forget to have some ventilation - screened against bugs.

I'm happy with my circa 1998 9 x 12 salt box.

- copied from my local builder's demo's with a few
minor changes - I just walked in with my tape measure and
clipboard and drew-up a plan. Double-checked my material list
and ordered the lumber next day.

PT 4x4 base and PT 2x4 sill ; 2x4 econo-stud framed ;
board & batten siding rough pine on sale planed 1 side
5/4 PT floor - a splurge - no regrets ; asphalt shingles ;
~ $ 700. materials. ~ triple that today ?
... a labour of love ie: no cost !
Shingles are still OK ! ... buying cheapo shingles for
a garden shed doesn't add up in the long run.
John T.