Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey[_5_] Joey[_5_] is offline

Default ice and water shield

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2021 03:17:43 +1000, "Joey" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 5/21/2021 11:25 PM, Joey wrote:

I priced a hidden-fastner metal roof install and it was twice the
cost
of the GAF Timberline shingles. Guess which I chose.

Did the same about 20 years ago. Made no sense to spend that much
more.

Corse it does when it lasts much longer.
Mine is just as good as it was when new,
now 50 years later.

Same with bricks instead of the stupid
timber you fools use for the walls too.

Bricks were not readily available in many parts of the country.

Only because you fools do your houses using
cheap and nasty timber and sidings. And even
you should have noticed that the timber and
sidings don't actually come from some forest
down the road. Iron ore mine in spades.

If you look at much of the northeast from Boston to Virginia there are a
lot of brick homes. You need clay and kilns to make them.

Everyone has some clay not too far away.

No, many areas have NO clay within a reasonable distance

Trivial to move the finished bricks from
where they do to where the house is.

- and when
forested land was cut to provide farm land there was lots of timber
litterally at the doorstep. Many houses were built from chestnut,
walnut, maple, birch, ironwood etc where those were the predominant
species. In other areas they were built of sprice and pine and hemlock
and fir.

And that isnt how stick houses are done anymore in the entire USA.

Today that is less common - with spruce and pine,
commercially grown and cut, shipped in from across
the country. Still cheaper than shipping bricks

Tents are even cheaper to **** but for some odd reason
few do actually choose to have one instead of a house.

- and less loss from shipping damage.

No bricks are lost to shipping damage when shipped properly.

Many bricks today are "fired" or autoclaved concrete
- where clay is not common various aggregates
(including recycled concrete) can be used

Yep, my house is much bigger concrete blocks,
shipped from 250 away because they were much
better from there than the locally made ones.

Not readily available in other places

BULL**** with the clay and even you should
be able to work out how to make a kiln.

so they use what they could get,

Bull**** they do with timber, sidings, stupid shingles etc etc etc.

Just as adobe and igloos, you build with what you have.

You don't have timber, metal, shingles etc, stupid. You move
them from where they happen to be to where you need them.

Tad radical I realise.

The homes I grew up in were built with locally produced soft
yellow clay brick - produced less than 10 miles from where the
houses were built - and locally harvested yellow pine and cedar.
(double brick - lath and plaster finish on the inside - timber
framed interior partitions, floors, and roof structure)

That last isnt common at all in the USA anymore.

Neither is lath and plaster either. The world has moved on.

My uncles home out on the sakatchewan prairie on the
other hand was built of lumber shipped in by rail from
out of province as timber, clay, and gravel aggregate
are and were extremely scarce out there.

But easy to ship bricks and that's a small part
of the cost of the bricks even a semi is used.

These were houses built between 1870 and 1942.

And the world has moved on just a tad since then.

The home I have lived in for the last 40 years
the brick veneer is autoclaved concrete brick
manufacturde one city away - less than 30 miles.
The original shingles were manufactured less
than 100 miles away.

And a metal roof would have lasted a lot longer.

The lumber was shipped by rail or truck across the province -
about 300 miles or less away. The aluminum siding was also
produced (from sheet) less than 150 miles away. It was built in 1974.

But the aluminium would have come far further.

These distances would all be considered pretty
much "local" by Australian standards, no????

Nope, not with the state capitals. But with those
the lumber does move much further than the
bricks do. The aluminium vastly further when
you count the bauxite. The steel for what is
now almost universally used for the roofs too.
Most used to be clay or concrete tiles for
decades but they arent common at all anymore.

The roofs are colorbond which even Trump
recognised. Last much longer than stupid
shingles.