Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Ford Lightning. Battery F150

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 12:45:56 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 11:45:59 AM UTC-5, Joey wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
On 5/22/21 1:11 AM, Joey wrote:
Makes a lot more sense to build nukes and heat houses that way.

True but you better have backup heat because a tree branch loaded with
ice
can take out electric power for a week
Not with underground power it can't.

Yeahbut, overhead transmission lines can carry
a lot more power than underground can.

Thats bull**** with new housing subdivisions.

I've been watching how ours are done, underground
everything. With power cables a ****ing sight thicker
than the ones used on the overhead lines because
its all in the one very thick cable with the undergrounds.

It's the same in newer parts of towns in my area in the U.S.
The power lines carrying power town to town are overhead. The
big transmission lines are overhead also.
The local utilities must've solved the issue
with using twisted pair wiring overhead.

Twisted pair isnt used for power lines, thats for phone
lines and we dont do phone lines anymore either, its
all fiber optic underground here now. And all have
natural gas and water and sewer lines and storm
water underground too.

Phone lines were buried here in the mid 70s when a good
spring ice/snowstorm hit. Natural gas lines sometimes lay
in the fence lines in rural areas along roads or are buried.
The thing about overhead twisted pair wires for power came up a
few years ago.
https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/twisted-pair-overhead-power-lines-why-870221-.htm
Philo and dpb answered my question back then.
Even in the summer, thunderstorms, half-dead trees and power lines
don't
mix either.

I dont heat my house in summer.

People in my area are fond of air conditioning.

But that is hardly ever interrupted by an iced up branch for some reason.

The local utilities shut down irrigation during
the day so people can stay cool in their offices.

So there is no problem with no aircon for a week.
And even if there is, we have these funky things
called generators that work fine after a tornado etc.
Every power outage I've suffered through was caused by some jackass
leftist environmental-wacko tree-huger who just had to plant trees
along
the power line right-of-way.

Our power utility cuts those down. You lot are too stupid
to do that ? You get to wear the downsides of that.

The worst power outage in my area in memory was due to a spring
ice/snowstorm.
(Central Nebraska)

And that happens so rarely that it makes no sense to keep
****ing all that natural gas against the wall heating the house
all winter and part of the spring and fall.

The natural gas lines are already installed. It would be a big
mess changing to electric power. Also irrigation wells and grain drying
use natural gas here. Running miles of power lines would be expensive.
I've never thought about changing a household propane or natural gas furnace to
electric heat.