Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default ice and water shield

"Larry" wrote in message
On 5/22/21 12:58 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Maskless Sociopath" wrote in message
On 5/21/2021 7:30 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
news On 5/21/21 12:38 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 21 May 2021 11:13:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 20 May 2021 04:34:57 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 12:15:08 AM UTC-4, Jannes wrote:
do you need to cut up 2' of siding to install ice and water
shield?

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-3119876-.htm

For what purpose? Around here it's installed on roofs to
protect against
ice damming.
And per code it has to be installed up the roof plane from the
lower edge
until
it's 2 feet past the inside heated space below. Maybe that's
where your
2 feet is
coming from?

Here they want the membrane to cover the entire roof.
This is what I needed on my addition.
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addition/dry%20in.jpg

It is so, when the hurricane blows the shingles off, you still
have a
roof.

Makes a lot more sense to have metal decking instead of stupid
shingles.

About $20 thousand more.

BULL****.

I priced a hidden-fastner metal roof install and it was twice the cost
of the GAF Timberline shingles. Guess which I chose.

More fool you. The metal roofs last FAR longer.

Mine is 50 years old now and is as good as when new.

BULL****

Fact actually. Like that or lump it.

I've never seen paint exposed to direct sunlight look "like new" after 50
years.

Mine isnt painted, its a flat roof. Not even visible from the ground.