Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default load for steel pipe

Trey Thames writes:

I am going to be hanging cast iron skillets from a 1" x 5' black
steel pipe (see link from Hope Depot below). It will be supported on
either end by 4" x4"x5' wood supports. I will probably be hanging
about 40 cast iron skillets which may weigh about 200-300 lbs. Will
this pipe support this weight?

Not an answer to your question but why do you want to do this? 5' =
60" so you're allowing 1.5" per skillet. I have 6 cast iron skillets
that vary in depth from 1.75" to 3.25" in depth. No way to fit 40 of
even the shallowest one into 60".

If by "skillet" you mean, not a frying pan but a griddle, I
have one of those too. It's only 1" to the lip but the handle isn't
coplanar with the cook surface and increases the overall depth to 2".

So just out of curiosity, what are you thinking of with this plan?

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada