Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Ford Lightning. Battery F150

On 5/21/2021 5:34 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 18:59:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

On 5/20/2021 4:34 PM, Joey wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 5/20/2021 11:45 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

This is more sensible than many cars.Â* The article mentions that
charging is a problem.Â* For cars, I use mine for some long distance
trip so yes, it is a problemÂ* when you want to do 1200 miles in a day
and a half.

Many trucks though, are used for work in a smaller range and are back
at the shop or home at night so you can just plug it in.

Still no point over the conventional version.

Electrics have a way to go but look back at history. People did not
think the automobile would ever replace the horse. Look how pollution
controls evolved.

Battery technology is improving and in a few years my be away from
lithium.

My issue with this is that gov't is forcing us to this. Innovation is not made
by force but with customer demand. Let's leave the climate beliefs out of the
equation. If these trucks start selling like hotcakes then one will see
everyone piling on board. Musk & others have products in the works. Let it
shake out. I believe it will have to move away from lithium.

At present the gov't subsidizes electric vehicles. Let's also leave the
national debt out of the equation. When prices go up because the subsidies end
will they be as popular? They only represent 2% now. IDK.

I would have to upgrade my electrical service for this. That u/g is over $4k
now. I don't have a garage so the car sits in the weather will the charging
station withstand this? I will probably be dust before my turn comes for one.

Around here it's semi-rural (now) but will the old farms and the like be able
to support EV's. IDK. Will farm equipment be EV? In California they want to
shutdown gas stations. How will people refuel? I believe all the vehicle owners
out there will not be purchasing EV's because of budgetary reasons. Gov't
mandates are cruel to ones without the cash.

To go see my BIL was over a 200 mile trip. How would I handle that?

Oh well, the wife is calling dinner so I'll shut up & see ya next time.

Wow, can you come up with more negativity?
To see your brother at 200 miles is not a problem and you can charge you
car when you get there.

You don't have to upgrade your electric service if you are able to plug
in long enough. My daughter had a loaner that was electric and she just
used an extension cord. That said, if the old farm has 120 service, yes,
you can plug in a car but it takes longer.

Yes, you can do it outside. Nothing new, I plugged in my diesel in
winter 35 years ago so I image they have the technology.

Agree with government subsidy. It was OK initially as something has to
be done to eventually get away from oil so it was a kick start but has
to go away.

As for innovation by customer demand, it is there, it is growing. One
big thing is to get away from lithium and it is in the works. Better to
tinker with that now than 40 years from now when oil is scarce and very
expensive.

Government mandates can be crazy, can be good. Where would we be on
seat belts and air bags if not mandated? It has been well proven they
save lives. How about cleaner air from unleaded gas?

You want to leave climate beliefs out of the equation but change is real
Time to do something about it.

The more ICE cars off the road the longer oil will exist to supply farm
equipment that is not electrified. What is the future of air travel if
oil is gone? Do we really have to **** away oil on cruise ships? How
much fuel does the military need? Once oil is scarce they will get it
before you and I.

I'm surprised at how closed minded people are on the subject. EVs do
not solve the world problem but we really have to look at the future and
do something about it. Clean air, clean water, clean energy are needed.