Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Ford Lightning. Battery F150

On 5/21/2021 8:24 AM, Frank wrote:

I have no problem with EV's and think they have their place.

What I do have a problem with is government mandating them and
subsidizing them.Â* A huge infrastructure change is required and pushing
it will cause a mess.

Also with government, it is usually one size fits all. For example Japan
and California will not allow gas powered cars in the future but driving
distances in Japan may only be a quarter of what is needed in California.

Some people need to travel long distances to do things in states like
Montana.

Then I read that 17% of the people in the US live in apartments and
condos.Â* How will they charge their vehicles except at charging
stations?Â* There are also those in townhouses and those without garages.

I could go on, but you get my point.

I agree, but the answer it not to do nothing. The issue has to be
pushed and consumer demand will give the push.

Near me there are a couple of apartment complexes going up. Like 300
units. I don't see any car chargers. If I was the developer I'd put in
a couple somewhere to attract the
EV owners.

You bring up range, one reason I don't have an electric. I've not
tracked it but I do recall some rather prohibitive ranges, like the
Chevy Volt at 32 miles. Now some cars have 300 miles. What does the
future hold?

Look at the auto industry over the past 100+ years. It will take a long
time but range and cost can be improved, batteries are getting better
and new one soon will not use lithium.

You and I won't see it but our grandkids will be dealing with it as oil
becomes scarce and expensive.

I bet Charles Duryea had no idea what his car would evolve to.