Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Smart meters, nearly fell off my stool.

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 19/05/2021 12:33, tim... wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 19/05/2021 09:15, Theo wrote:
Pancho wrote:
On 18/05/2021 19:36, Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
We should have built more baseload power stations - particular
nuclear.

That ship sailed 10+ years ago.Â* For the one we are building,
wholesale
price per unit is roughly double that of renewables ( in normal
conditions)
so it's going to need subsidy to sell its power.Â* It's not cheap
baseload
it's expensive baseload.

I doubt that your figures are true.

Hinkley Point C has a guaranteed purchase price of its nuclear
electricity
of £92.50 per MWh (9.25p per kWh):

But how much lower could it have been if the government funded the
build, so there was no need for far more expensive commercial loans,
while also making a profit on top?

Plus repeats of the same design will be a lot cheaper.

there will be no repeat builds of the same design
HMG wont sign off on this price again (realising that they made a
mistake agreeing this deal)
and no-one will build commercially at a lower strike price

Of course they will.

SMRs are specifically designed to come in at the £40/MWh mark.

What has to happen however is that the government undertakes it wont -
even if some random collection of Greens get into coalition - ban
nuclear power without compensation, or require that completely
unrealistic insurance policies be taken out by nuclear power companies.

ArtStudents„¢ and Ecowarriors have stacked the regulatory deck against
nuclear in any way they could, TRIPLING the build costs.

It has to stop, or the country will collapse from 'renewable' lack of
energy.

I read recently that RR are seeking £300m just to get their design
through approval.
--
bert