Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT'ish: Greedy plumbers?

Its not just plumbers, its drain unblockers Locksmiths etc as well. Its
getting so bad many local authorities seem to be giving lists of good ones
that don't have hidden charges or rip off prices.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
On 19/05/2021 18:15, williamwright wrote:
The overheads should be adequately covered by the call-out and hourly
charges - assuming 3 small jobs a day and 6 chargeable hours means
£420/day. Marking-up parts by more than 3x is taking the proverbial

No, its marketing.

People will pay for parts, but they dislike paying invisible overheads.

When I was doing domestic work

Sundays customers were stars.

They were given my number as a recommendation. The job sounded easy (it
was) but I really did not fancy an hours round trip to look at the job so
I quoted an hourly price plus parts.

They were happy with that plus they wanted extra stuff such as light
fittings swapping and not all light fittings are equal.

All went well for the first 10 minutes until they went to Screwfix to buy
a new light fitting and locked the door on their way out leaving me in the
house and most of what I needed in the van.

--
Adam