Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A genuine home repair question.

On Thu, 20 May 2021 18:10:27 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 5/20/2021 4:51 PM, wrote:
About a month ago my water heater (4ish years old) T&P valve popped off and wouldn't re-seal, so I replaced it. No issues for about a month, now it's dripping. I can"burp it" but drips again in a little bit. I'm wondering if I need to turn the temp down, I'ts where ever the factory set it, seems pretty hot. Not overly hot but hot. Thoughts??

Is there an expansion tank associated with this heater? It could have
failed.

That is my guess, if there is even a tank installed.
Back in the olden days the water expanded back into the system but now
they have back flow preventers and the expanded water has nowhere to
go. They will sell you a small expansion tank that gives you some
wiggle room. It can be installed pretty much anywhere in the system.
In a misguided effort to save a little energy some people even
installed check valves in the cold water side of the water heater.
This expansion tank would have to be on the water heater side of that
valve.