Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Smart meters, nearly fell off my stool.

In article , Theo
writes
Chris Bacon wrote:
I can't think of a single advantage, except for the car charging thing
that someone mentioned. Indeed, that seems to be the sole reason for the
push to make people have them. So that charging times can be somewhat
controlled.

They can also tell you whether you have any particularly energy hungry
appliances. For example you might have a really inefficient fridge which
could be because the door seals are leaky and so it's always trying to cool
the room. (They don't tell you per-appliance, but you can deduce things as
they come on and off)

You might find the display makes it easier to correlate with what you do.
For example, on a normal day we would use 10kWh, but if we were doing lots
of washing and drying it might be more like 13-14kWh. So I could say each
dryer load was about 1kWh.

Plus if you are on a low income you can ensure you don't get bill shock at
the end of the month/quarter, since the meter tells you exactly how much
each day costs you. You're more aware of your usage than just when the bill
lands.

These things don't magically happen just by getting one installed, but they
do provide tools which can help save if you're prepared to do a little bit
of work.

Theo

The tendency seems to be for people to do the work initially but then
get bored with it and by the end of the year average saving of about
£11.
--
bert