Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default "Electric car range anxiety to be cured by battery that charges in five minutes"

On Wed, 19 May 2021 14:39:49 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

If driving all day, I'll normally take a sensible lunch break. About an
hour, or so. Same as when at work. A 1 hour re-charge is more within the
bounds of possibility.

And the key word there being 'normally', 'normal' as_considered_
with_our_current_tools / usage.

When you could only travel the distance within the range of a std
horse and coach, they built 'Coach houses' that distance apart along
any main / regularly traveled (where the trade would justify it),
expanding out from the centres until they met in the middle (like how
they often build bridges).

Then the same thing would have happened with petrol stations as the IC
powered vehicles become more common but that didn't happen with EV's
around the same time because it wasn't as 'easy' to distribute
electricity (with wires) as it was liquid fuel (tankers) even then.

Once the supply and infrastructure is in place it's much easier to
distribute such energy over wires than it is tankers. You can do it
with pipes but I think the cost / risk (with petrol, compared with
water or gas) wouldn't be viable, especially retrospectively
throughout a density populated country like ours (and for direct usage
by Joe Public).

Cheers, T i m