Posted to uk.d-i-y
williamwright williamwright is offline

Default OT'ish: Greedy plumbers?

The overheads should be adequately covered by the call-out and hourly
charges - assuming 3 small jobs a day and 6 chargeable hours means
£420/day. Marking-up parts by more than 3x is taking the proverbial

No, its marketing.

People will pay for parts, but they dislike paying invisible overheads.

When I was doing domestic work, installing/repairing aerials and dishes,
I was well aware that the customer who was charged £100 would probably
assume that the materials were £80 and the labour etc was £20, and he'd
be happy in his delusion. Of course the real figures were the other way
round.

In that industry customers have always tried to beat the system by
buying the parts from a DIY shed then ringing up and wanting the stuff
installed. "I'd do it myself, I mean, it isn't rocket science is it, but
I've broken my leg
My wife won't let me
I'm far too busy because I'm very important
I haven't got a ladder
If I climb up a ladder it bothers the dog."
These guys always expect you to quote about £20 max. So we get to this:
"What? I paid £100 for the parts at B & Wicked!"
It can go in various directions after that.

Bill