Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Shed doors

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 8:18:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a 10 year old shed for my lawn tools, that is 2X constructions,
with standard particle board siding. While the outside was painted
immediately, the inside of the siding was left unpainted. The doors are
basically a sheet of siding with 2x4 around the edge of each door and in
an X pattern in the bottom half of the doors . The doors overlap the
floor joist and come to the bottom of the floor joist. The minimum
clearance under the shed is about 8" and is open on all four sides.

That area between the door and the joist has started to come a part
Since at this time the decomposition is minor, can i stave off the
replacement of the door by gluing the loose particles and painting that
are of the door?

Is there a better solution?

"standard particle board siding"

What do you mean by "standard particle board siding". There are numerous
materials that people refer to as "particle board", often incorrectly.

When I hear particle board, I think of the material used to make flat-pack
furniture, like inexpensive nightstands and bookcases. Melamine comes to
mind also. That would not be considered "standard particle board siding"
and shouldn't be used outside.

"That area between the door and the joist has started to come a part"

Do you perhaps mean that the OSB (?) on the interior bottom of the door is
beginning to look like this?

https://i.imgur.com/IiWwtiz.jpg

If so, I've never heard of regluing OSB. There are epoxies that are used to
stop rot and "rebuild" rotten wood, like window sills and thresholds.
Maybe that would work.

Perhaps you could spread epoxy over (and into) the area and then
clamp it to get it back to "flat". Using wax paper between the epoxy
and the boards used to make the clamping form will prevent the
form from sticking to the OSB (or whatever the actual material is).

Another option might be to cut off the damaged area and attach
a new "bottom" perhaps using pocket screws or a backer board
on the inside. Yes, there would be a seam that would need to be
sealed, but without more info (and perhaps a picture) it's tough to
offer specific solutions.