Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 12 important questions and answers before considering vaccination

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 May 2021 19:26:42 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 04 May 2021 19:41:36 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Sun, 02 May 2021 04:15:03 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/01/2021 01:45 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 18:59:30 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to
digest...

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 02:18:44 +0100, rbowman

The woman I got my first cat (as a kitten) from (apart from the
stray
before that) told me that the mother teaches them what a litter
tray
is. Actually I think that one did use it correctly. Her
kittens
didn't
though, so presumably her mother never taught her to pass any
information on.

I have no idea what the cat that adopted me has for a personal
history.
I had a bag of litter in the car for traction on ice so figured I
would
experiment this winter. I poured some in a wash pan and the cat
used
it.

You bought cat litter to use as grit?

Definitely.

the stores around here sell bags of 'traction sand'.
The problem is it's still slightly damp so when you go to use it
you
find you have a 30 pound frigging sand Popsicle.

otoh, you buy a 20 pound bag of cheap cat litter and it's perfectly
dry.
It's gritty and works quite well. Also, you get more volume per
pound
than a bag of rock salt and it's more pleasant to scoop out with
your
hand.

Icy roads may not be a problem in your part of the world but the
temperatures often hover around 32 here. High 30s in the day to
melt
the
snow, and 20's at night to freeze it to a layer of ice. I switch to
studs at the end of November but there often is snow before then
when
still have road tires on.

I haven't had to use it in years but I'm one of those better to
have
MP5 and not need it than need it and not have one types.

Can also be used to absorb those pesky fluid leaks.

The driveway is gravel so I look at those as dust control. In some
ironic twist of fate I have three bikes and the Harley is the only
one
that doesn't mark its territory. I know where the V-Strom is leaking
and
will fix it the next time I change the oil but I'll be damned if I
can
figure out where the DR is bleeding. The early models had a base
gasket
problem but that doesn't look like the source.

I don't understand people using gravel, it gets everywhere. My
neighbour
even removed theirs and replaced it with more gravel!

Its cheap.

My neighbour has plenty money. They got it because they wanted it!

Yeah, some prefer it. Those fancy great houses in the country your
toffs had almost always had gravel driveways, immense things.

Insanity.

Nope.

It doesn't stay still.

Doesnt matter, they have minions that move it around.

If you have a grand house, you should have a neat driveway.

They do, and minions who keep it that way and mow the lawns etc too.

Tad radical I realise.

She also replaced a very nice wood ceiling on her landing with tacky
white
PVC. When I queried it, she said "it's the fashion, wood is out of
date".
They walk among us....

They mostly swan around in Chelsea tractors.

Rover 75 actually, they only got a Jag because the parts for Rovers are
getting too rare.

Dunno what the Jag is like, but the Rover was the worst car I've ever
driven. Automatic gearbox changed like a learner drive with no clutch,
interior light went off as soon as you closed the door so you couldn't
find the ignition, headlight switch in a non-standard place, headlights
stay on when you get out of the car, so you don't know if you forgot to
turn them off, back window about 6 inches tall, so you can't see out to
reverse, broke down more often than my French cars, despite them not
driving like a lunatic.

There might just be a reason they went broke.

I have monoblock, but tarmac is just as good,

Looks much worse.

Looks nice when it's in good condition.

Yep.

in fact probably better for stopping weeds.

If done properly, yep.

Concrete is much better.

Grey looks awful. Jet black is nicer.

That shows the dirt.

What?! Dirt will show up more on a lighter colour.

Nope.

I wonder if you can get coloured concrete?

Yes you can.

I saw a plastic monoblock imitation once, the benefit was no weeds. But
an obvious fake, too shiny,

Thats easy to fix.

also ****ing slippery to walk on in winter.

Also easy to fix.