Posted to alt.home.repair
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default The differences between the UK and the US getting a Covid jab

On 18/05/2021 17:24, Retirednoguilt wrote:
On 5/18/2021 11:28 AM, Bod wrote:
On 18/05/2021 16:18, Retirednoguilt wrote:
On 5/18/2021 10:43 AM, Frank wrote:
On 5/18/2021 7:51 AM, Bod wrote:
On 18/05/2021 12:49, Frank wrote:
On 5/18/2021 3:42 AM, Bod wrote:
I've noticed that the US pre wipes the injection area with I
assume surgical spirit and a plaster is applied after the jab.
The UK does none of this now. None of my family had any blood on
their arms after the jab.
At most I've seen a piece of cotton wool held on the injection
area for a matter of a few seconds, then it is removedwith no
visible blood.
(Just an observation)

I am surprised that the Brits do not do this as problems can result.
Staph bacteria exist on the skin and can infect the body.* I had
it happen a few months ago with an injection into my eye for wet
AMD. Was a bitch to deal with as four more injections were needed
to clear it up: one to identify bacteria (it was staph), two of
antibiotic and one of steroid.

Not trying to scare anybody about getting injected and suspect if
it happened with skin injection the infected could just take
antibiotic orally.
*
Fair enough, but comparing an eye injection to an arm jab is
totally different I suspect.

I did not research the whole thing but there is maybe just about as
much of a problem.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/injec...doctor-2616542

It may be questionable as to the injection site being sterilized first.

A quick swipe with an alcohol swab will not sterilize the skin.
Otherwise, surgeons would just swab their hands for a second before
putting on gloves and prepare the operative incision site the same
way. **Thorough cleaning with a much stronger agent is required, both
of hands and incisional site to minimize the risk of contamination.
Additionally, if not allowed to air dry after swabbing, residual
liquid alcohol on the skin will be dragged into the puncture wound
made by the needle, causing unnecessary pain and possibly even
possibly inactivating the drug or vaccine being injected.
Theoretically, you can even float some skin bacteria from the
perimeter of the swab site into the small pool of residual liquid
alcohol and increase the risk of injection site infection unless all
the alcohol is allowed to air dry.* Intact skin on the upper, outer
arm, or on midthigh is relatively clean and a simple swipe with clean
water on a small clean pad or cotton swab and a pat dry with a small
absorbent sterile pad will be just as effective at preventing
injection site infection as using a typical alcohol swipe. However,
patients expect the smell and sting of the alcohol swab and old
habits often die hard even in the face of good data.

*
Thanks, but using old habits should always be updated with good new
evidence...agree?

Absolutely I agree.* I'm merely stating the reality of what happens.
Physicians, sworn to do no harm, tend as a group to be hesitant to
modify long standing practices pending receipt of (whatever their
personal definition is of) "convincing evidence" to the contrary of what
they've being doing up until that time.* This is especially true if the
new evidence, regardless of how sound, gets ahead of what the courts
define to be the "community standard of practice".* In those cases,
there's the added constant threat of malpractice in the event of a poor
outcome after altering practice to be consistent with the new evidence
which isn't yet considered to be that community's standard of practice.
* Of course there are exceptions and individual physicians will be more
or less apt to be early adopters.

Ok, thanks for that info.