Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Smart meters, nearly fell off my stool.

Theo wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
I can't think of a single advantage, except for the car charging thing
that someone mentioned. Indeed, that seems to be the sole reason for the
push to make people have them. So that charging times can be somewhat
controlled.

They can also tell you whether you have any particularly energy hungry
appliances. For example you might have a really inefficient fridge which
could be because the door seals are leaky and so it's always trying to cool
the room. (They don't tell you per-appliance, but you can deduce things as
they come on and off)

How would they tell? What's the difference between an 'always on'
fridge and an 'alway on' lamp bulb? The information sent back by the
Smart Meter isn't even real-time as in continuous I don't think so
analysing load patterns isn't going to be seriously possible.

--
Chris Green
ยท